Thursday, February 7, 2008

Names
Names come in so many ways; some parents name their kids after some good family friends, or give them names of their later mother or later father. For me I got my name Juah from my later grand mother, she did name me after her mother, and my dad name my sweetie. My dads name me sweetie because he said I am the sweetest child he ever had.
I love the name sweetie and decided to use it for school, but as I grew bigger, my friends took it out content and had a lot of different ways of calling me, and also had a lot of interoperations to my name. this had me discourage to the extend that I decided, to change my school name by using Sweetie as my middle name, and used Juah as my first name.

Some parents give names to their kids, by combining both parents’ names, I also think that is a good idea. I have this friend who got her name from her both parents, her name is Oralee. Her mom name is Ora, and her dad name is Lee. They combine their names and named her after them. What a wonderful ways to give names to kids.

Some people think their names are not pleasant for the ears, and decide to change it, or add more beauties to their names. This happens in the African setting most of the time. I am saying this, because some Africans names are very hard to pronounce and most of the African kids change their names when they leave Africa and travel to the western world. For example if your parents named you Oweniyou, entering the western world, you feel that Oweniyou is so long and hard to pronounce, you will think of something shorter that sounds like your name, and add more beauties to it by saying my name is Owen. Well people will prefer Owen to Oweniyou in the western world, because that’s the shortest ways to you long name and it sounds more pleasant to the ears ,this is some of the reasons people change their names.

Most of the times people have issue with others names; they always said they hate the name. Like the name Maverick, a lot of people dislike this name; they feel that this name is sucks. Some say the name Maverick makes them feel like a movies top gum, other feel the name sound very stupid, and should be use only as a first name and not last name. But I personally feel that every name have a meaning and the name Maverick is a nice name. For me I feel names are names, and the best names to give kids are biblical names, because I feel names also have impact on kids, it is good to bring kids up in a God fearing ways, and the name given to them should also have impact in their lives by helping them behaved like the person they were name after in the bible.

No comments: